Tuesday, May 5, 2009

4 May 2009

For review & info of all the books I mention here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel

I can't remember much about what I did last Friday. So, sorry, no blog about it. All that I can remember is I was sick and Den was obsessed with UNO. For the past few days, I think she played close to 100 hands of UNO.

She is actually getting quite good at it. What is even more amazing, she wins most of the time!! We never try to let her win, in fact, we are having a hard time winning!! When she first brought the card, I was thinking to myself, oh no, we are going to play this really slow and boring UNO for a long long time. What a surprise!

Back to today:
Today I woke up with a headache. Not as bad as last week but definitely not myself yet. I decided to take it a bit slowly as in no cooking and studying less than what I planned.

Den woke up at 1130! (No renovation today, yahoo!) I let her play for awhile while I chat with my brother in Australia (yahoo chat).

Then we went down to eat the unhealthy brunch -- Roti Teloh for her and Fried Kueh Tiao for me. :)

We finally started school at 2pm.

A new verse today: 

Happy are those whose heart are pure, for they shall see God. ~Matthew 5:8

Of cause, we read 2 Bible stories - King Solomon asking for wisdom and building the temple.

I asked her, "If God asks you what you want, what will you say?"

She answered, "I will say, I want mommy to live forever and ever."

I was surprised!

We talked about death, heaven, etc since she was 2 years old or younger. I brought her to quite a few funerals plus my father in law past away last year. Despite all my explanations and everything, she used to have this fear that I will die one day and leave her. She has always said she wants to die with me.

I thought she is kind of over it already, as in not so worried about it anymore. Maybe I am wrong. I really need to read the "如何与你的孩子谈死亡" (Helping your child understand death) that has been sitting on my bookshelves.

Maybe it is because recently ST and I talked about writing a will. We asked last Saturday, who would she rather have as her guardians if anything happened to us. hmmm...

After that, we spent close to an hour on phonic. She kind of mixed up "h" and "th". Plus, there was a very long paragraph for her to read today:

He said, "Can I eat cake?"
She said, "Go sit with the cow."
He said, "No. I will not go."
She said, "Go sit with the cat."
He said, "The cat has cake."
She said, "Go sit with the cat and eat cake."
So he ate cake. He said, "this is fun."

Ok, it is a lot of repetitive words but still, long. At least for her.

After that, we read 2 new books:
1. Stories From Around the world, replaced "things that people do". Today's story is Puss in Boot. I didn't know it is from France. The language is very simple and interesting. A good book for reading aloud.

2. Usborne Starting Point Science "What's under the sea?" replaced "The year at maple hill farm". Very thin book but not easy to read. A lot of new concepts for her. The equator, water bed, food chain, current, etc.

I am starting her on scrapbook. While we read the book, we looked on the Internet for extra pictures. When we found any interesting pictures, we printed them out and pasted them into her scrapbook. Today we pasted 5 pictures -

2 from the red sea - the salties sea in the world, people can float without any float; Den was really fast, and she said right away, "that's the sea Moses opened!" haha!




1 from Hawaii - the tallest mountain on earth is Mauna Kea which forms the island of Hawaii (I didn't know that!! I thought it is Everest!!)




1 from the Great Barrier Reef.

After we pasted the pictures, she decided we should add some painting on it. Haha! I like it. Hopefully, we can keep this up.

After the lesson, she watched "Shriek". I had been wanting her to watch this for a while but could not find my DVD, so finally let her watch it online. I think she is too obsessed with all the Disney princesses. Shriek would be a good change.

Princess Fiona is super cool, she can fight, can cook and she doesn't mind being ugly and she sings for her food (haha! my favorite part!!!)

After the movie, Den asked me, "mommy, so it is ok to be ugly?" I was like :) Im expecting more conversation about the movie for the next few days.

At nite, Den played rounds of UNO with ST and won again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment