Wednesday, May 20, 2009

19 May 2009

For review & info of most of the books I mentioned here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel

Den woke up early today. 9am. No ballet today so we had lots of time to study and do crafts.

We started off with the verse. I just need to supply the first word "Honor" (it is not phonetically correct!) and she knows the rest.

Then we read another interesting story from Stories From Africa. Today's story is a true story about a little girl called Titi who lived in Nigeria. She was a believer (going to a school run by missionaries) but her parents were not. Her dad asked her to steal a chicken from their neighbor one day. She refused because she didn't think Jesus will like that. Her dad beat her and confined her in a goat house. Every day she only had a little bit of food to eat and yet she knew she was not alone. She sang about the love of Jesus every day. Finally, her dad gave up and let her come back to the house. Later on, her mom and sister accepted Christ as well.
A wonderful story to go with our verse of the week. We discuss how Titi disobeys her father and yet at the same time honors him.

After that, we read Mother Goose, Animals Animals, and Children's Book of Virtue. There is no Art this week. So I decided to let her look at clothes in First Word Bank. We also make a scrapbook of different patterns. I draw the clothes and Den color them.

Subsequently, we worked on Math. Nothing new, I let her work on 13 addition questions. But this time questions are like these:
6+5=
6+6=
6+7=
6+8=
6+9=

At first, she used the counters but after awhile she got smarter and realize she just had to add 1 to the answers. :) That's the objective of today's lesson, I'm glad she gets it.

Since she worked so hard on math, I rewarded her with Dr. Seuss' ABC while I cooked lunch. We had fried spaghetti again because I want to finish off the sauce.

After lunch, we did sand art. It is a present for my mom. Her 60th birthday is this Thursday.

Before today, I always have to help her take out the sticker (using a toothpick, part by part, very tedious.) But today, I was surprised! she did it all by herself. So I left her be while I happily prepared dinner. My mom & aunt coming for dinner, and I need to prepare more. I was so thankful that I have such an independent daughter. We worked separately for like an hour.

I should have known better.

While I was not looking, she decided to mix all the colored sand together. So now instead of having 8 different colors in 8 different containers, we have 8 the same colors in 8 different containers! I was so angry when I saw that! I tried to calm myself down and told myself she had to suffer the consequences anyway (now she only has one color to use).

Despite trying, I still scolded her. :(

Wish I could act cool.

Her final product did not look too bad but just the thought of how we had been saving up all the colors from previous sand art projects made me mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment