Saturday, May 16, 2009

15 May 2009

For review & info of all the books I mention here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel

I'm in a much better mood today even though not enough sleep.

I went to sleep around 5am on Friday morning, and Den woke me up at around 6am. She fell asleep the night before at about 8pm. So she was wide awake at 6am. She told me she need water, so I took water for her, then she told me she was hungry. I gave up and woke ST up to take care of her since it was about time for him to wake up and go to work.

I continued to sleep until 9am! ST went to work around 7am, so Den had been playing by herself for like 2 whole hours. Later on, I realized she called my mom because she was lonely!

We started teaching her our telephone numbers when we were in Langkawi. For emergencies and that kind of thing. She memorized mine, ST & my mom's hp numbers. That's when the trouble started. She would pick up the phone and call us anytime she feel like it.

I told her today, I am going to make her pay for the calls that she made. She told me she would make calls when I'm not around so that I would not be able to deduct her money! I told her I can track it on the phone bill. She was like, really?!! OH, NO! Hopefully, that will stop her from making unnecessary calls.

We practiced the Bible verse and she almost got the whole verse now. Then we read a Bible story - Elijah was taken to heaven. She was amazed. This is the first time she realized people can go to heaven without dying first.

Then we read 2 poems from Animals Animals and a short story from the Little Golden Books. With that, we actually finished all our Sonlight program for this week.

After that, we read a Chinese book together. It is part of the Odonata first 100 words program (红蜻蜓幼儿100字亲子互动故事系列)It is an interesting series. I read part of the stories (background, etc) and she read what the characters say. Too bad there are only 5 books in the first 100 words series. I wish they will come out with more.

Subsequently, we practiced Chinese flash cards. She had a very hard time learning these few words - 很,就,这. We learned this last week and until today she still doesn't get it. I make her rewrite 这 again since I don't see any other way. That's the bad thing about the Chinese. You just have to memorize the word.

After that I let her play in the bathtub for more than an hour. We have been so so so busy for the past few weeks, she had not been playing in the tub for a long long time. She was very happy about it.

We have bread and fried eggs for lunch. As well as Milo+milk.

I wanted to get her to nap after lunch but the renovation at the apartment under mine was still very noisy, so we decided to make an Oreo Cookie Pie for CG tonight.

It is very easy, and pretty straightforward from the box. No baking. Make and put into the freezer.

After that, she did one worksheet on the Clock, and 2 from handwriting without tears before we nap.

Jump forward a few hours later, after CG before she slept, and she actually read a whole Chinese book all by herself. This is a very good series called Basic Chinese 500 ( I found a good write-up in a blog here). It consisted of 5 books (at least 5 books for now). It introduces one word in one chapter and the next chapter will build from that previous chapter's word.

Let's say, chapter one introduces the word "mountain". Then chapter two will introduce "Tall" and put the two words together - "Tall Mountain".

Every book has 20 new words.

It comes with Ping Ying and English translation too. Very convenient for those who are not so well verse in Chinese.

Den read the whole Book 1 all by herself before she sleeps. That makes me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment