Monday, May 18, 2009

17 May 2009

For review & info of all the books I mention here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel (updated today)

We SKIPPED church today!!

Out of the blue, we were sick. I got flu and Den has low fever since yesterday. We could have made it to church today but...

1. Since the H1N1, some parents might be a bit cautious and would not like to see a sick teacher (me!) near their kids;

2. I prefer to keep Den indoors and not out under the extremely hot sun. Since ST taught in Secondary School Ministry today, I need to stay home with Den.

That gave us a bit of time to catch up on school.

We were a bit behind on the Sonlight workbook - Developing The Early Learner. We are supposed to have finished Book two by next week but we are actually only halfway through it. So we did 6 worksheets today.

I especially like the listening exercises. I have never seen anything like that in any other local publication. It started off with 2 instructions in Book 1 to 3 instructions in Book 2. This is how it usually goes in Book 2:

Three pictures in the worksheet - for example, a cow, a rope, and a tree.

Then I will say something like "draw a blue line circle around the rope, a red line under the tree, and a green x on the cow." Then Den has to wait for 1 minute before she does it.

This is by far the hardest exercise for her. So I taught her to imagine and see the pictures in her mind as well as repeat what I said. Today she has no problem completing all the exercises.

I also let her work on 6 math questions -- adding to 20 using a counter. She was still slow. I will continue to give her more drills throughout the week.

I was tired after one hour of worksheets, but she seemed alright. So we watched Toy Story together. Usually, on a sick day, we watch cartoons. :)

ST came back just when we finished the show. We ate, and rested.

Then we practiced piano. She is learning to play with 2 hands.

She seemed quite alert, so I decided to teach her some language art that we usually don't have time to cover - forming sentences with Nouns, Verbs, and Adjectives.

I got this from the Internet (I love the Internet!) a few months ago. Quite interesting. It comes with
helpers words like: "The", "the", "a", "and", "was" and ".";
nouns with pictures - "boy", "girl", "dog", "ball", "monster", "dinosaur", and "apple";
verbs with pictures - "kisses/kissed" "kicks/kicked" "eat/ate" "hugs/hugged" "hurts/hurt" "tickles/tickled";
Color with pictures - "Red" "Yellow" "Black" "Blue" "Green" "Brown"
Emotion with pictures -"Sad" "Happy" "Surprised" "Angry"

With the cards, we took turns to make sentences like:
The yellow monster ate a dinosaur.
The angry dog kicked the sad cat.

We had fun!

After that, I asked Den to work on a Learn to Read magnetic word board (so that I can rest). I brought this last year, it seemed like a very good idea at that time but Den was not too interested in it because it is quite tedious to find all the words. She played for a while then gave up.


She wanted me to play Bingo game with her instead. This is one of those game we brought from the cheap make-in-china store.
I don't even know why is it called a bingo game when it doesn't look like bingo and doesn't play like bingo. It is a good game though.

Taking turns to drop counter into the slots, whoever gets 4 in a row (vertical/horizontal/diagonal) wins!

Den likes to play but she only makes defensive moves. Whenever she wins, she did it accidentally. :)

After that, we went out for a simple dinner with my mom. I was exhausted when we came back home. So ST played UNO with Den until bedtime. I read a chapter of Milly Molly Mandy to her before she sleeps.

I hope we are up to schooling tomorrow since I intend to catch up on lots of stuff this week...if we are too sick to study...more cartoons...Den would love that.

Last week, 2nd week of May, we did 5 days of Sonlight, 2 phonic, 2 Chinese, 1 math & 2 piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment