Tuesday, June 30, 2009

30 June 2009

For review & info of most of the books I mentioned here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel (updated 30 June 2009)

Den woke up early again. 9 something. I did lesson planning til 6am this morning. So I was still tired but not as tired as yesterday morning. I asked her to go and play while I sleep in for another 30 min or so.

We have breakfast at home today. Usually, Den's breakfast is milk with cereal or bread or Jacob biscuit and mine is oat with bread or just oat. Once in a while, we eat at the diner downstairs.

Before we started our lesson, I could not find the workbook that I wanted. So I ended up straightening my shelve for workbooks for 30 min. Now I organize them acc to subjects - language art, Math, Chinese, Science, Morals, crafts, and activities. Going to give away some of the workbooks that we only used one or two times and she has kind of outgrown them now. Let me know if you want them.

We practiced the Bible verse and read a true story from "Stories From Africa" about how a little girl's allowance has helped kids in Nigeria know about Jesus. It is a fitting story for we were going to learn about money today.

I challenged her to divide her weekly RM3 allowance this way - RM1 for spending, RM1 for saving, and RM1 for offering mission work. She promised to think about it.

In conjunction with that, we also read a book called Every Child Everywhere! It is a small and cheerful book about how God loves all children. There are lots of pictures of children from all over the world. I brought it in Cananland. A portion of the book's royalties goes to a kid's foundation.

After that, we read a story from "Stories from Around the world" It is a Chinese folk tale. We also read a short story from The Children's Book of Virtues. That finished our Sonlight program Week 22. Since I started taking a slower approach, we need about 11/2 weeks to finish a one-week program.

After that, I worked with her on her phonic workbook (Im not sure if I mentioned this, but we are using Phonics First Book 2 from Synergy Media, Popular RM8.50. I think it is a good book to practice phonic awareness). Previously she was quite good with the beginning sound but not so good with the ending sound. But today when we practiced, she did well with the ending sound as well, so I let her practice the vowel sound too. She did quite well too but still need me to say each word for her very very slowly.

After that, I teach her about money. Sen and Ringgit. Then I let her work on 2 pages of worksheet about recognizing/differentiating money (Maths is Fun by EPH, PopularRM4.90).

I also let her work on 2 Chinese worksheets from Odonata 幼儿学华语 1上 and 2 pages of subtraction worksheets.

She finished everything before I finished preparing lunch!

That's all that we study today since it was Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment