Thursday, June 4, 2009

03 June 2009 - all about Ruth

For review & info of most of the books I mentioned here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel

EE came over today, so we had our own VBS (Vacation Bible School!) just kidding! haha! But it is a school day during vacation and it was all about Ruth!

I decided to do Ruth because Den & EE are both very much into Disney's Princesses. I'm a bit worried that might somehow twist their view on marriage and love. Ruth is a down-to-earth love story.

I used the Pray & Prayer Bible to tell the story. I paraphrased a lot since I want to emphasize the LOVE STORY. I pointed out that neither Ruth nor Boaz is pretty on the outside but kind and gentle and loving on the inside. Den caught on pretty quickly since we had been discussing this at length. She quickly pointed out just like Shrek! Hmmm...not sure Ruth & Boaz are as ugly as Shriek but ...that's the general idea!

After the storytelling, I asked them to retell it back to me. They can't do it as well as David & Jonathan's story. I have to ask some prompting questions to keep it going. Both of them still don't quite get the mother-in-law, and daughter-in-law relationship despite my explanation. :(

Then we sing songs and play games. Most of them were taken from the Play & Pray Bible.

The first song (tune: my bonnie lie over the ocean)

Wherever you go, I will follow
Wherever you stay, I will too
Your people will all be my people
and your God, I'll worship with you.
Fol-low, fol-low
I'll follow wherever you go today
Fol-low, fol-low
I'll follow you and there I'll stay.

I dressed them up in some clothes and we role-played. Naomi asked Ruth to go home but Ruth sing back and say no. Naomi hug Ruth and said, I love you. The lyrics were too long for them, but they had fun playing.

After that, we played "follow the leader". We took turns being the leader and did silly actions, and the others had to follow.

2nd song: (Tune: farmer in the dell)
Ruth picks the grain x2
Ruth hopes in God
So Ruth picks the grain.

EE was the planter first. She took a bag of straws (pretend to be grain) and dropped them on the floor. Den was Ruth. She sang and picked up all the straws. Then they switched roles. They played so many times that I lost count. :)

3rd song is actually the Bible Verse rhyme with finger play:
A friend loves at all times. (Proverbs 17:17a)

Den & EE faced each other. I said a statement and they have to answer with the Bible verse while touching each other index fingers.

I said, "A friend will love you when you are sad."
They answer: "A friend loves at all times."

I said, "A friend will love you when you are mad."
They answer: "A friend loves at all times."

I said, "A friend will love you when you do something wrong."
They answer: "A friend loves at all times."

I said, "A friend will love you all along."
They answer: "A friend loves at all times."

After that, they did some worksheet on Ruth (I downloaded it from the net) while I cooked lunch. Today we had bread (from grain we can make bread) with Burger Patti, egg, fried button mushroom with onion. I also let them prepare their own salad. They tear the veggie and mixed in the carrot sticks, tomato, raisin, and thousand island sources.

They had fun eating but it took them more than 1 hour to complete their lunch. :(

After that, I showed them a short but very cute video clip about Ruth I found on the net before they proceed to watch Veggie Tales.

This was part of Den's passing motion reward! haha! Den has always had problems with passing motion. When she was younger, her bowel movement was not too good. She would go for days without passing motion.

It improved with age (and lots of encouragement, scolding, and veggie & fruit intake) and now she is just too lazy to go to pass motion. She seldom feels the urge to go. So she only goes when we ask (or force) her to. She has no problem once she is seated in the toilet bowl.

In order to encourage her to go (and foster the good habit of daily poop), we give her stars if she passes motion every day (before this she used to get stars if she passes motion every other day). Once she collected a certain amount of stars she can exchange rewards likes going to the book store or Ikea, long cartoon, etc.

She had this "long cartoon" award more than a week ago but she wanted to wait for EE to come over so that they can watch together. I'm rather happy with her choice since I need to watch this particular Veggie Tales for my next Sunday Sunday School lesson. Haha! One stone killed 2 birds.

Den loves Veggie Tales but I find it too difficult for her. It is more suitable for primary kids. So I have to sit around and do some explanation.

MA came to pick up EE right after they finished their cartoon. As usual, lots of drama and tears when they said goodbye.

Den asked to go swimming in the evening. I said ok since the weather was so hot (and no haze). She had fun swimming while I read the newspaper and prepared her for next week's lesson at the sides. She was learning to go under the water. A great improvement. She usually doesn't like water to touch her face.

I think may be one of the reasons she is trying out is that when she took bath with W&W, she saw how W&W didn't mind the water touching their faces. Great!

No comments:

Post a Comment