Wednesday, June 17, 2009

15 June 2009

For review & info of most of the books I mentioned here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel

Last week we only have like 2.5 days of school and we took it really slowly and we ended up not doing too badly. We did:

4 days of Sonlight, 1 phonic, 3 crafts, 3 math worksheets, 1 writing worksheet, 8 language art worksheets, 3 Chinese stories, 4 piano practices, and 2 swimming. On top of that Den spent 3 whole days playing with EE when I run the kid's camp in church. Overall, I have to say, GOOD! :)

We continue at a slower pace this week. On Monday I was still very tired from last week's camp, so we were on a very very relaxed pace. We continued last week's Sonlight, so we practiced last week's Bible verse and I told her 2 Bible stories - King Josiah (2 Chronicles 34) & the end of Israel & Judah (2 Kings 24-25; Isaiah 53; Micah 5).

Den was a bit shocked when she heard about what happened to Israel and Judah. She knew God punishes those who were disobedient but she never thought the punishment would be so severe. It was a hard lesson to teach but at least it came with a promise - Messiah -if God's people turn back to Him. There is hope. I starting to like this Family Time Bible more and more.

After that, we read Stories from Africa chapter 3. This time it is about a missionary pilot who helped save a little boy's life.

A missionary couple's youngest son Billy was very sick. Their two-way radio hasn't worked for the past two months, but in desperation, they decided to try it one more time. It reached the pilot!

The pilot made it to their house before the storm and darkness took over. They prayed that God would look after Billy that night since they can't fly out until morning. They also prayed for a miracle because the fog usually covered the sky from morning to afternoon. It was a clear day when the pilot woke up in the very early morning. He managed to get Billy to the hospital asap. After 2 days of struggling, finally Billy was getting better.

It is a wonderful story. I am contemplating sharing in Sunday School.

After that we had lunch. Porridge. Den's request.

Then Den helps me to snap the lady's fingers for dinner. She is getting really good at that.

We have free time after that. At least free time for her while I checked my email (I have not checked my mail since last Thurs -- over 100 new emails....) and also plan this week's lesson.

We went swimming 5-6pm. There were lots of kids swimming in the pool. A clear day without haze must be the reason. Den choose to play with the youngest - a 1 plus baby girl. A cutie. She can really spend time talking to her, carrying her around, played with her. I think the little girl's mom wished Den is her daughter. :)

While I cooked dinner, she did a few worksheets - 1 on subtraction, 1 on writing, and 1 on Language art.

After dinner, I decided to start this week's lesson (since she can't play UNO, punishment for destroying her water bottle). We read from What's under the sea? This time it is about Drilling for Oil from the sea. She is going to bring the book to Sunday School this Sunday and ask Uncle Job exactly what did he do. Hopefully, she will see Uncle Job.

Then we read a Chinese book. One of the things I'm going to change is to learn fewer Chinese word cards and read more Chinese books to her. I think it is still the best way to improve her Chinese (or any language).

Recently I found this set of books that I absolutely love. Unfortunately, it is a translated book (English Author). I hate to buy translated books. Much prefer the original text. But it is really cheap compared to if I get it from Amazon....so what to do....read the Chinese version loh. :(

I love this series because it is about a little girl called Katie and she has a special power to go into all the famous pictures in the Art museum and interact with the people inside the pictures!!

There are 7 books in the series ( I think there are more in English) and we read the first one last week, it is called 凯蒂的画中历险(Katie's Picture Show). In this book, she went into The Hay Wain by John Constable, met Madam Moitessier by Ingres, played with the little girl in Les Parapluies by Renoir, saw the tiger in Tropical Storm by Rosseau and almost drown in Dynamic Suprematism by Kaimir Malevich.

It was soooooooooo fun to read! Only problem - the Chinese is kind of difficult for Den, so I pretty much paraphrased everything. Besides that, I also spend almost a whole night last Tuesday trying to find out all the painters and paintings' names in English. Still not done yet. :(

On Monday, we read the 2nd book - 凯蒂和蒙娜丽莎(Katie and the Mona Lisa). In this book, she met the really lonely and unhappy Mona Lisa. In order to cheer her up, she brought Mona Lisa out of her painting and in search of friends. First, they were attracted by the handsome knight, St. George in St. George & the dragon by Raphel. Then they danced with the goddesses in Primavera by Botticelli. After that, the lion from The Lion of St. Mark by Carpaccio flew them to Venice and have a nice tour on a gondola while eating spaghetti and gelato.

After the book, we looked at some of the photos ST & I took when we visited Venice. Den and I want to go to Italy now. We want to eat gelato. Not the yucky one you can find here in the shopping complex but the really good one in Rome!!! I also want a cappuccino!

Dream on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment