Saturday, June 20, 2009

19 June 2009 & more

For review & info of most of the books I mentioned here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel

We only study in the morning because we go kai kai with SD yiyi in the afternoon! :)

Still, that gave us about 2 hours of study time. Not bad.

Den woke up at around 1030am. We started with the Bible verse then we read a missionary story from "Stories from Africa". This true story is about how a missionary and his African friend have a narrow escape from the fierce lions.

After that, we read a poem from The Children's Book of Virtues and I wanted her to use the poem as a base and make a poem of her own. She did it last week with a silly mother-goose poem but she can't do it this time. I think she didn't quite get this week's poem. (read the detail in the previous post 08June2009) The metaphor is much harder in today's poem. It talks about how God made my life like a little light so that it will glow in darkness or a little flower so that I can give joy to others or a little (shepherd's) staff so that the weak can rest on me...

I didn't push her after a few tries. So we continue our study in A children's Book of Art instead. This week's topic is boating - we looked at 1 Japanese painting, 1 Ethiopian painting, and 2 European paintings. I tried to point out the differences in styles...not sure if she get me....but she is getting quite good at discussing the paintings. She would ask me, "mommy, which one do you like?" Then she would tell me which one she like and the reasons. Sometimes we also take turns in guessing which one she/me like.

Afterward, we read about ways to travel in A First Word Bank. New words we learned - Spokes, mudguard (bicycle parts), skim, and hurtle. Hmm..not sure we would be able to use these words in our conversation...you are supposed to use the new word 10 times in your normal conversation in order to "own" the word...

After that, we finished book 6 of the Cosmotot math. Today we learned to do addition in a different way. Instead of the normal 1+2=? today we learned 1+?=3. Den had no problem understanding the concept but needs more practice.

While having lunch (with SD) and dinner (with ST) in the curve, Den did 3 pages of math worksheets.

I brought a few new math workbooks in Popular for her. 2 from a Malaysia publication (easier, just for practice because it was on sale - KB Mathematics Book 1&2) and 2 from a Singapore publication (harder - Creative Math, preparing for primary 1). I especially like the Singapore workbooks because they covered the basic concept of graphs. Since I'm following the USA assessment (download from https://sites.google.com/site/djhomeschoolsite/Home/assessment if you are my followers) , I need to teach graph concepts in K.

I don't think we study graphs/charts when we were in primary? I think they still don't teach that in MLY primary. Anyway, Singapore does. So I'm going to introduce the concept to Den soon. I found one in the Internet that is quite interesting, it ties in with Goldilock's story. If you are interested, you can download a free copy here https://sites.google.com/site/djhomeschoolsite/Home/math (for follower only).

On Sat, 20 June 2009 Den did another 4 math worksheets while visiting ST's mom. One is to arrange numbers from the smallest to Biggest, one from biggest to smallest. The other 2 introduce the concept of < & >. Besides that, I continued reading stories to her every night before she sleep. That covered part of the Sonlight program as well as Chinese stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment