Wednesday, June 10, 2009

09 June 2009

For review & info of most of the books I mentioned here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel

We started late again. Den woke up at 1130am. I can't complain since it gave me some precious time to do my church work.

We started school at 1pm. We repeated the Bible verse and read Jonah's story.

Then we read a ridiculously difficult chapter about Seabed in "What's under the sea?". It talks about Plates, Mantle, Magma, volcanoes, hot spring, and how to measure the depth of a sea!!!! It was hard! Even for me! I hope I explained it right. I'm not sure. You look at this and tell me it is too much for a 4-year-old or what? I think it is too much for a 37-year-old as well!! Tomorrow we are going into Drilling for Oil and I'm not looking forward to that!


















After that, I was supposed to read a story from The children's Book of Virtues. It is about how Genghis Khan killed his bird in anger. His favorite pet hawk kept knocking down his silver cup whenever Khan raised it to drink the water he gather from the dropping of a brook. Finally, he was so angry that he killed the hawk. Only later he found out there was a huge poisonous snake laying dead at the pool (where the water came from), then he realized that his hawk was trying to save him. But it was too late.

I hate to tell any story about dead animals or people. Den will definitely cry. Last week, during the holiday, I read a story about a farmer saving a bird and the bird took the form of a pretty woman and married the farmer. Later on, the farmer realized his wife is actually the bird and so she left him. Den cried and cried after that story. So you can imagine how much I dread today's story. Remember? This is the girl who cried after watching Shrek because the evil prince did not get the girl. She wants a happy ending for everyone.

Blessedly I don't have to finish the story. Halfway through the story, Den told me to stop. She asked me, "is it about the dead snake?" I said, "yes, and how do u know?" She told me her popo already told her this story and she would not want to listen to it again. She usually loves to listen to the same story again and again but today she refused. I'm glad too!

I am a bit worried because Sonlight K program (the next step, we will start maybe next year) has books about WWII and people & animals ending up dead, how are we going to get through?

Next, we did our favorite books - "A child's book of Art" & "A first Word Bank". Today we look at Meals. We loved one of the pictures from A Child's Book of Art. I promised her I will scan and print it out and put it in our kitchen.



After that, I want to teach her to differentiate between Glass, Cup & Mug. So I draw in her scrapbook and she colored them.

When I cooked lunch, I let her cut out our craft work today - Dolphin (you can download the template here). Jonah was swallowed by a big fish, I would like to believe it was a whale and a dolphin was the smallest type of whale! So there, the connection! haha! :)

It took her 2 hours to eat her lunch and that really drove me crazy! I clean up the kitchen, hand washed some of the clothes, checked and replied to my mail and yet she was not done.

We finally started school again at 4pm! As punishment, she did not get to watch her Chinese cartoon today.
We assembled the dolphin. Then we used play-doh to make letters. We made A, B, E, F, H, L, M, N, T. Btw, Den took the photo too!








Afterward, I bathed Den and gave her 3 worksheets on LA (language art), 1 on handwriting without tears, 1 on shapes and coloring, and 1 on maze while I cooked dinner.

She could not finish her LA worksheets because she did the wrong chapter! I had to help her out after dinner. I wanted to read a Chinese book to her today but did not have the time. Will do it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment