Monday, November 30, 2009

29 Nov 2009

We did not study much on Sat. We planned to do quite a lot since we had the late afternoon and evening free.

We went for a buffet brunch with my DH family in the morning which continued to mid-afternoon. My sister-in-law, JY gave Den a very cute hello kitty key chain along with a pink fake key. Den was very fascinated with the fake key.

She came home and tried it on every door lock in the house and realized it won't fit any of them! (She really thought it might fit at least one or two!!) So she decided since it won't fit the real locks, she would pretend it would fit the imaginary locks.

With the key, she "locked" my walk-in closet (btw, it doesn't have any lock) and every time before I can go into the closet, I have to ask her to "unlock" it first.

After that, she declared it was the key to her cardboard house.

We got the cardboard house from our friends, the Yu family 4 years ago. Yu's family was moving down to SG and hired a mover to move their furniture. I fell in love with one of the boxes that the mover provided for them to hang their clothes. It looked like a perfect house for Den (1+ at that time). Our friend gave one to us and their kids decorated it and call it "Den's house"

We cut out doors and windows and Den used to spend a lot of time in it. She hid in there and pretended that's her house. But recently she had not been playing much with it. In fact, I have only been keeping it with us for sentimental reasons and also because it is rather popular with some of the younger kids who sometimes come to our house. I had been toying with the idea of giving it away.

Then out of the blue, because of the fake key, Den decided to play house. She pretty much dragged me along (I was not a willing participant at first... halfway reading the novel I bought from book sales...) and we ended up playing for more than one hour at the box. I did struggle in my heart and wanted to lead her to more "constructive" activities ---like study and homework....but then she was having fun, so I decided to continue to play. Honestly, the thought of "study" kept crossing my mind, and I had to keep rejecting it. :)

We went out for dinner after that and did some grocery shopping. Den also played at the Giant indoor playground.

We did a bit of study after we reach home. I found out we had not finished our history study for week 2. So we read two chapters from Living Long Ago (under History) - One on Ancient Egyptian clothes (makeup, jewelry, etc) and the other on the Ancient Egyptian villa.

Den decided she wanted to be an Ancient Egyptian because they put on makeup, and wore jewels, wigs, and lots of perfume (both men and women). :-)

The day before, she found out that one of the Pharaohs had three wives. It was a big shock to her since she always thought of 1 husband with only 1 wife. I explained that a long time ago (or even not so long ago), most of the kings married a lot of wives. She contemplate that for some time then she announced that since she is a princess, she is going to take 3 husbands when she grows up. :-)


For review & info --
For K books - http://www.squidoo.com/booksforK (updated 26 Nov 2009);
on Pre K books- http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel

No comments:

Post a Comment