Thursday, July 9, 2009

09 July 2009

For review & info of most of the books I mentioned here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel (updated 09 July 2009)

Ok, maybe I pushed her too hard today...Den fell asleep on the car ride back from Subang Parade...she had not done that for a long long time...

I have not been giving Den any fever medicine since yesterday morning (Wed) since she only has a slight fever (around 100F, slight to us, we only give medicine when the fever goes up to 102F). She is still on antibiotics though :(

I thought since she has kind of recovered and slept 11 hours, we should go back to our normal schooling today. Maybe I should have to take into consideration that even though she slept 11 hours, her sleep was very restless. Her nose was stuck through the night. I wanted to get more done these few weeks because we are going on vacation soon.

She woke up late, around 11am. After a simple breakfast, we started school with Bible verse. She can get the whole verse now almost without any help. Then we read the last story from Stories From Africa. We loved this book. It is well written for read-aloud. Very simple and yet touching. Today we read a real story about a little girl name Dija who had leprosy. She ran away from home so that she can get help in a house of medicine (for leprosy). There she met a kind Christian lady who also has leprosy. Dija accepted Christ and she was healed too. I almost cried when I read about her difficult journey in searching for the house of medicine. We really enjoyed the book. I will definitely tell some of these stories in Sunday School. I think it is very important to tell good stories to kids. They might forget the theories or teachings but good stories and good songs stay with them throughout their lives.

Last month, during our holiday kids camp, we told 6 stories in 6 sessions. The kids loved the stories. They can identified with the stories and they remembered the stories. The problem is that it is hard to get a good story.

After that, we prayed and then we read another wonderful book called Is A Blue Whale The Biggest Thing There Is? It is under Science. It is a short little book about...not whale...but UNIVERSE! (Read my review at http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel)

This is the first time I introduce the topic to her. Thanks to the book, she seemed to enjoy it very much, we talked about planets, stars, the solar system, the milky way, and finally the universe. I also took out the book my friend Meg gave her last year about planets - it has photos and pictures of each planet.

My parents are getting a new dog soon, I asked Den if she wanted to name the dog after one of the planets. She agreed and chose "Pluto". I kind of like "Jupiter" or "Mercury".

After that, we drew on her scrapbook. We drew a tiny Sweden, a whale, a tall Mount Everest, a bigger Earth, a huge Sun, and finally a huge milky way.

After that, we practiced Chinese flashcards, and she almost get all of them correct. I let her work on 2 revision worksheets.

Then we had lunch. ST cooked! Yes!

It took her one hour to have lunch. Her sore throat made it hard for her to swallow.

After lunch, we read a story from Stories From Around The World. This time is a story from Persia. It is about a girl who tried to escape arranged marriage by hiding in a lamp. Finally, she fell in love with a prince and married the prince. I talked to Den about arranged marriages in the past. She did seem interested. :)

I also continue our study about money. I took out a 50-sens and asked her to give me different ways to make up 50 sen (for example, two 20sens +one 10sens; five 10sens, etc). She did very well but took a lot of concentration.

Later on, I let her work on 2 worksheets about money and 3 from Handwriting Without Tears. After that, she watched her Chinese cartoons.

After dinner we went out to Subang Parade, Den and I went to MPH while ST went and bought some stuff. After an hour or so, Den requested to go home! It has never happened before!! So we knew she must have been exhausted. True enough, she fell asleep in the car.

Maybe we should not study tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment