Monday, April 4, 2011

03 April 2011

We started a few new things in our school last two weeks. Before we go there, lets talked about some of the 'normal' things we did:


1. History - WWII (I haven't check out the internet links yet because I'm not sure I want to use them...after WWI experience...)


2. Bible - We focused on two ladies that God used during WWII to do great things for Him -Gladys Aylward (from I Heard Good News Today) and Corrie ten Boom (from both Little Lights and Heroes For Young Readers series, read about these two series in my previous entry)


We stop using the Word and Song Bible since Den started doing daily devotion her self but I decided it is time to use it again. We listen to Ruth story yesterday and as usual we enjoy it very much.


3. Science - We finished Sonlight Science week 20. In week 20 we studied about major organs in our body, blood and vessel, skin, bones, muscles, and digestion. No time for internet link yet. 
Den drew this in her science workbook - digestion
4. Chinese - I asked my brother to help me get 70 books from China. All from the same series 玛蒂娜 (Martine by Belgians Marcel Marlier and Gilbert Delahaye) - 40 picture books and 30 corresponding sticker books. I fallen in love with the drawing when I saw it online and I knew Den will enjoy it too and I'm correct. Even though she cant read most of the words, she spent the whole afternoon just now looking through the pictures. She seldom pick up any Chinese books so I'm very happy about that. 

We read 4 of the books this two weeks and so far we enjoy the story..even though I have my doubt in some of the translation...sometime it didn't make sense and sometime it didn't go with the drawing...I manage to bluff them off...good thing about Den cant read most of the words!!


 
example of the sticker book
Since I make this year "improve Chinese language year", Den's speaking Mandarin has improved significantly. A few of our friends comment that, so I'm very happy about the direction we are going - lots of interesting Read Aloud, Goodtv Mandarin cartoon and always do Chinese lesson first (right after Bible, so that we will always have time to do it properly!)

5. CLP Language Art - She finished Workbook 103 (Total score 98!! Reward systems works wonder in this case!) and started the first lesson in Workbook 104. In 103, we learned about Question words, contractions (don't/can't), Was/Were, Rhyming words, Consonant digraph - CH, Vowel Set - ai, ay, ee and ea.

In 104 first lesson, we learned about Vowel set - ie and y=i and 5 consonant blends- bl, fl, gl. pl and sl.

6. Math - She did a few worksheets from varies workbooks, a new sudoku book (she complained the last one  was too hard...so I got her a new one Sudoku Basic RM4.50 Popular) and we also started playing Tangrams (bought a set from Times warehouse sales at RM15 that came with 200 puzzle and 2 set of Tangrams so that we can play it like competition).

7. Calender - Another new thing we started last week. Sonlight K came with a calender kit but we had not used it until last week. I finally feel she can grasp the concept of months and this will help to make the concept even more concrete for her. We are going to do it month by month, we started at the end of March and we worked on the month of April. At the beginning of each week, we also fill in the activities of the week. 


A country is featured in every month. The month of April is Italy and so coincidentally that Den saw some Gondola at Marina Sand two weeks ago.We spent sometime talking about Venice, Rome, Pompeii, leaning tower of Pisa and I show her some of the photo, hubby and I took when we visited Italy. 

We also spent sometime talking about Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter. We decided we are going to wear black on black Saturday. 

8. Sewing - It is rather ironic that someone who cant sew is trying to teach sewing!! Den has been asking me to teach her to sew. I think the normal needle is too sharp and too small for her. So when I saw this sewing kit in Diaso (RM5) I jump on it and brought the biggest needle I can find. So far, Den has not prick her fingers yet!

some of this stitches are done by me and some by Den and you really cant tell which is from who...I dont know it is because she is really good at this or I'm really sucks at this! ^^

This is how it is going to look like (hopefully!!) when it is done.
I think the most important "new thing" we started last week is we have set our study goal for this week together. This is the first time we did this. Usually I do the planning my self but I think she is old enough to do this with me. 

First we plan out how many days of school we are going to have this coming week - 3 days. Then we write down how many works we are going to do in each subject in this 3 days. This is our goal for this coming week -

Yamaha - 5 practice and 1 homework

Bible - 3 

Chinese - Lesson and Review 2, Read Aloud 3, Den Read Aloud 2, Copywork 2

English - Read Aloud 2, CLP 3, Copywork and comprehension 2

Math - 3

If she can achieve the goal then she will get 30min of PC game credit which she can use it right away or accumulate. ^^

p/s: Den was in drawing mood, so I updated some of the most recently drawing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment