We didn't have time to really study on Wed but Den still get to spend 30 min or so playing with them. Today she played with them for about an hour and I asked her to pay more attention to their wings, eyes, ears, nose and beak. It was really amazing how much she observed by her self just by pointing her to the right direction.
We covered three lessons from the Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock....I learned so many new things today! To a point, I think homeschooling is to homeschool the mom and not the child!
Lesson 3: Wing:
- We experimenting with Umbrella to show how the overlapping wings feathers help chick fly;
- We talked about the function of chick's tail - act as rudder and also help to fly
Lesson 4: Eye and Ear
- We found their ears...we knew they have ears since Chicka Chicka and Boom Boom (their name) has been responding very well to Den's voice...come running to her whenever she calls...and they love music, whenever Den play piano, they will sing too...but we never knew where are the ears located...today we found them. ^^
- Den observed that chick has only lower eyelids.
- I saw the film lid that came out from the corner of chick's eyes and cover the eyes like a veil when they first arrived but I never knew what that was... today I learned....and found out even human has the film lid!! At the corner of our eyes near our nose, just that we can't move the film lid like chicks...any more...I need to find out what is the function of the film lid...Den and I guess - to protect the eyes.
- Chick cannot see the same object with both eyes at the same time
Lesson 5: Beak
-Found the nostrils!!
-Compare Duck bill and chick beak
-Functions of beak
-Chick has no teeth and not much sense of smell.
Den also identified different part of a chicken and color it: