Thursday, September 3, 2009

2 Sept 2009

ST has been on sabbatical leaves since July and our school schedule has been rather chaotic since. On top of that, there are so many things going on these few weeks. So...I have been trying to squeeze in school whenever I can - Doc's office, restaurant, etc.:)

I had a meeting on Mon (31 Aug) morning till noon and then we met up with friends for dinner so that's that for the whole day. ST got Den hooked on a Facebook online game while I was away. They are now virtual farmers - planting virtual vegetables. The good news is Den is learning new vocab - fertilizers, harvesting, etc. (Dear Jane, did you realize they have been watering your farm for you?)

Anyway, today (1 Sept) is usually a busy Tuesday. We only had the time for Bible verse (did not even bother with a new verse, just continued last week's verse), prayer, reading of the "Happy Life On the Big Cold Mountain" and Phonic lesson. I also let her color the Malaysian flag (part of her people of Malaysia lapbook, wonder when can we get it done!)

Today, for the whole morning ST and I went out to settle some stuff. Den stayed with my mom. We picked her up for lunch and went to Atria. I wanted to buy her a special gift. I wanted to give it to her right after her surgery next Wed. She wanted Monopoly (played with Jos in Singapore a month ago) but I am not so sure about that. I think it will be a bit difficult for her. (I also worried I would not have the patience to play with her!!) We ended up did not buy anything. If I can't find anything before next Wed, I will go back and buy the Monopoly.

We took a nap and went out with my parents for dinner. Den read a phonic book before the dinner was served. Then we worked on a page of math worksheet after we reached home. She was having problems with questions like ?+4=17.

She had no problem if the total was less than 10 but can't do it when it was more (only has 10 fingers :)). I taught her to count using the 1-100 chart in her Homework Helper lapbook. We spent quite some time doing it and I'm still not convinced she got it. I will let her work on more questions like these tomorrow.

Before she slept, I read her a Chinese book I bought from the Chinese Christian Book Fair.

It is a funny story about a pair of twin brothers. They look alike, dressed alike, live nearby, and work together. However, the way they react to situations and things that happened to them are totally opposite. Big brother is a pessimist, he always sees the cup as half empty. Little brother is an optimist, he always sees the cup half full.

Big brother is always worried and sad while little brother is always happy and thankful. At the end of the book, the author asked the reader, whose house would you like to visit?

I purposely chose this book for Den. There were so many things going on these few weeks. She has to wear glasses, patch her eye every day, and have surgery next week. She has been a champ and took everything in much better than I thought.

However she did ask me last week, why did God heal everyone else but her. She asked me did God said 'wait'? (God's answer to prayer - yes, no, wait) I said Yes.

I didn't want her to feel sorry for herself. Instead, I wanted her to give thanks in every situation. With the help of this book, she realized that you can always interpret things in different ways.

After that, we practiced giving thanks. We gave thanks that it only happen now when she is 4.5 years old. I could not imagine how hard it would be if we had to put eye patches and glasses on her when she was like 2 years old. At least now she can understand the logic and the reasons behind it and will cooperate even though she does not like it.

We also gave thanks that it happen to us and not her friends because at least we are covered by insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment