Friday, October 30, 2009

30 & 31 Oct 2009

For review & info on most of the books I mentioned here, please go to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel (updated 30 Oct 2009) & http://homeschoolingmombookreview.blogspot.com/

We finished week 32 yesterday! :)

I did not use the verse for week 32 because Den is still not too familiar with the week 31 verse. So we continue to practice the week 31 verse.

We started a new Science book in week 32 - Why Do Tigers Have Stripes? (under Science 2). It is an interesting book about how animal camouflage. We read 4 pages today that talk about how animals use their body color and pattern to hide from their enemies and prey. We will continue this book for the next few weeks.

I also taught her about adding large numbers without carrying, for example, 22+54. It is a logical step after our last lesson 2 weeks ago about learning the tens and ones (pls read the detail here). She was a bit confused at the beginning, but then I realized I need to give her some review on the tens and ones (since it was taught 2 weeks ago, and even though she insisted she still remember the lesson). After that, she did a few exercises without a problem.

Today she did another 5 questions on this. She only spend about 10 min on it, much faster than yesterday. I intend to continue to let her do exercises every day until she can master them before teaching her to subtract large numbers.

Last night we went to MPH and I found a Kumon's Word Problem math workbook for grade 1. I chose a few questions from different sections of the books and tested her. I was pleasantly surprised that she had no problem with all the questions I asked her. From the way she came out with the answers, I can tell that she really understood the concept of adding, subtracting, and number relationships.

Today, I need to prepare for tomorrow's Sunday School lesson so just let her do her math and writing exercises and asked ST to read 2 Bible stories with her. The rest of the time, she spent it playing card games, puzzles, and swimming with ST.

No comments:

Post a Comment