Friday, August 21, 2009

21 Aug 2009

For review & info on most of the books I mentioned here, please goes to http://www.squidoo.com/ahomeschoolingmomjornel

There were so many things that happened after we came back from our trip that it felt like we did not spend much time studying. However, when I sat down and looked at all the things we did for the past 2 weeks, it was not bad.

We managed to finish Sonlight week 25 (except for the book 'people' which I want to keep for next week), Den did 3 pages of math worksheets, 1 phonic lesson (Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons), 3 pages of phonic worksheets, 2 handwriting without tear worksheets, 1 auditory memory worksheet (Developing the early learner 3) 1 watercolor craft (birthday card for grandpa), some sudoku and lots of coloring and piano practices.

Since Den has a problem with her eyes, we also spent some time studying about eyes. I found some very good resources from the Museum of Vision website http://www.aaofoundation.org/what/heritage/. With the resources, we study about different parts of our eyes, and how we see and focus, and I explained to her what is wrong with her eye. We also did lots of fun experiments and I made a flipbook for her. I had been trying to explain to her how animation was made but without success. With this flipbook, she finally gets it. We might make a lapbook on the eye. Have not decided yet.

Since we had been out of the house a lot for the past 2 weeks, I carried with me some of stuff we can do while waiting (there was a lot of waiting in doctors' offices). We actually manage to get quite a bit done and it also made the wait not so tiring/irritating for Den. It never failed to 'amaze' me when I see all those parents bring their kids waiting at the doc office and not bring along anything to keep them busy. It is not like just a 15 or 20 min wait,  sometime, we waited up to 2 hours or more. Kids get very restless and bored and then they become very fussy. 

For the past 2 weeks, we worked on these two books when we were out:

1. EQ - a series of Taiwanese playbooks that I got from Popular quite some time ago. I got them during sales, so they only cost RM4.50 per book. It has 2 levers - age 3-5 and age 5-7 and it has 4 topics - accept yourself and understand others; understand emotion; cultivate problem-solving ability; positive thinking.

We used some of the age 3-5 books when Den was around 3 years old. Now we are using the age 5-7 books.

The book we are currently using is "Cultivating problem-solving ability". There is a lot of creative and think out of the box type of activities in the book. I enclosed one of the examples: Look at the shape provided and what does it look like? Den think it looked like a vase, a bow tie, or a woman.

2. The Fittest Link & Eye Q Booster: I got these 2 books from Popular too at RM7.90 each. I bought them when Den was only 3 years old because I love these books. As you can see from the example here, it is IQ, logic game. I used one of them with Den end of last year (while waiting in the immigration office) and she could not do it so I kept it for a while and took it out again this week and she can do it now. We did 11 pages while waiting. Some of them are still a bit hard for her and require some explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment